I was finally able to get back to work on Project Peril. I started working on loading & unloading of zones so players can transition between areas quickly (by waypoints perhaps), and I implemented the Poisson Disc algorithm into the navigation system to generate spawn points for monsters.
I then created monsters and their artificial intelligence. AI is implemented via Lua script, so I spent some time working that feature and getting it optimized nicely, then I went ahead and scripted a very basic Wander routine for the monsters, just as a starting point. You can see how monsters wander in this post’s featured GIF.. you might also notice me teleporting a few times, that’s a movement ability that may or may not make it into the final product.
I’m happy with the code structure and performance of monsters, it will be very easy to give monsters more advanced and diverse AI.